What do you do to stay healthy and active?
Do you take the dog for a walk every day or do you set a goal to run three miles a week? Do you limit how many times you eat out or have you increased fruits and vegetables in your diet?
Active living, particularly outdoors, promotes cardiovascular fitness, reduces the risk of developing a chronic disease, helps maintain a healthy weight, reduces anxiety and depression, builds a relationship with nature, all while improving self-esteem and an overall sense of well-being. Active living includes walking, running, hiking, biking, paddling and much more. Great Parks of Hamilton County’s 21 parks and preserves provides the perfect environment to enjoy these activities that help you stay healthy. This is why Great Parks has declared 2014 the year of “Healthy Parks, Healthy People”.
Check out the calendar below for a list of activities. It is updated every season so you can keep up a fresh schedule with your activities. Also, be sure to take part in our Trail Challenge!
Questions or Ideas?
Want a healthier you? It all starts with just one step! Challenge yourself to get active and meet fitness goals as you explore the great outdoors with the Step It Up! Trail Challenge.
- Walk five of the seven designated trails between April 28–September 1, 2014
Miami Whitewater Forest – Shaker Trace Inner Loop (1.4 miles)
Winton Woods – Harbor Trail (1.7 miles)
Glenwood Gardens – Garden Loop Trail (1.6 miles)
Woodland Mound – Seasongood Trail (0.8 miles)
Sharon Woods – Multi-Use Trail (2.6 miles)
Fernbank Park – Multi-Use Trail (1.2 miles)
Withrow Nature Preserve – Trout Lily trail (2.0 miles)
- Track your completed trails at stepituptrailchallenge.org
- Come to the Take a Walk in the Park party on Sunday, September 28, 12:30-3:30 p.m. to celebrate your success and pick up your free T-shirt
So as you can see, the Step It Up! Trail Challenge is a free and easy stepping stone for an ongoing workout routine. We hope you are up for the challenge!
Sunday September 28, 2014
Sharon Woods | Buckeye Falls
11450 Lebanon Road
Sharonville, Ohio 45241
Join us for a unique opportunity to walk, run or ride along Buckeye Falls Drive through beautiful Sharon Woods! Great Parks will be closing the 1-mile park road to vehicles, allowing park guests, wellness vendors and exercise classes to enjoy the open road. The closure allows for the Gorge Trail and Harbor Trail to “connect” to make 4.3 miles of open exercise enjoyment!
The day will include walking groups, sustainable travel practices through walking and biking, golf and bicycle awareness programs, massage vendors, blood pressure screenings, get fit activities, hiking demonstrations, naturalist programming and much more.
The section of closed road will include Sharon Woods Golf Course parking lot to Pavilion Grove Picnic Area and Sharon Woods Harbor entrance off of Kemper Road. Sharon Woods main entrance off of Rt. 42 will remain open to vehicle traffic.
So come and enjoy the day with us at Sharon Woods and take advantage of a special opportunity! Walk, run or bike and enjoy different opportunities to stay healthy and active during Take a Walk in the Park!
Visit the event page here for more information.
Get moving while supporting a great cause. The beauty of our many paved trails make them a popular location for community-led walk, run & bike events throughout the year.
See the full list here
Check back often for monthly wellness and sustainability articles!
February - Heart Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: February is Heart Month
March - Spring Into Parks
April - Volunteering
- Great Parks volunteer opportunities
- "Volunteering: It's a Win-Win!" by Kris Roselle PDF
- Winton Woods Cleanup on April 12
May - National Physical Fitness & Sports
June - Men’s Health
- Bored With the Gym? Try Tai Chi or Yoga
- Some Sports May Help Protect Men's Bones
July - Family Fun in the Park
August - Staycation
- Walking Tips: How to Walk in the Summer
- 16 Things To Do On A "Staycation"
- Have a Truly Relaxing Staycation
- 5 Tips for a Successful Staycation
- Staycation: Get More of Your Summer Fun Closer to Home
September - Healthy Family
- Take Your Kids Hiking: 10 tips to make the adventure fun for the whole family
- Top 10 Family-Friendly Hikes in the U.S. Parks
October - Women’s Health
November - Hike a Trail
December - Healthy Holidays