What do you do to stay healthy and active?
Do you take the dog for a walk every day or do you set a goal to run three miles a week? Do you limit how many times you eat out or have you increased fruits and vegetables in your diet?
Active living, particularly outdoors, promotes cardiovascular fitness, reduces the risk of developing a chronic disease, helps maintain a healthy weight, reduces anxiety and depression, builds a relationship with nature, all while improving self-esteem and an overall sense of well-being. Active living includes walking, running, hiking, biking, paddling and much more. Great Parks of Hamilton County’s 21 parks and preserves provides the perfect environment to enjoy these activities that help you stay healthy. This is why Great Parks has declared 2014 the year of “Healthy Parks, Healthy People”.
Check out the calendar below for a list of activities. It is updated every season so you can keep up a fresh schedule with your activities. Also, be sure to take part in our Trail Challenge!
Questions or Ideas?
Get moving while supporting a great cause. The beauty of our many paved trails make them a popular location for community-led walk, run & bike events throughout the year.
See the full list here
Check back often for monthly wellness and sustainability articles!
February - Heart Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: February is Heart Month
March - Spring Into Parks
April - Volunteering
- Great Parks volunteer opportunities
- "Volunteering: It's a Win-Win!" by Kris Roselle PDF
- Winton Woods Cleanup on April 12
May - National Physical Fitness & Sports
June - Men’s Health
- Bored With the Gym? Try Tai Chi or Yoga
- Some Sports May Help Protect Men's Bones
July - Family Fun in the Park
August - Staycation
- Walking Tips: How to Walk in the Summer
- 16 Things To Do On A "Staycation"
- Have a Truly Relaxing Staycation
- 5 Tips for a Successful Staycation
- Staycation: Get More of Your Summer Fun Closer to Home
September - Healthy Family
- Take Your Kids Hiking: 10 tips to make the adventure fun for the whole family
- Top 10 Family-Friendly Hikes in the U.S. Parks
October - Women’s Health
November - Hike a Trail
December - Healthy Holidays